Former Batu Kawan Umno division vice-chief Khairuddin Abu Hassan has filed a fresh affidavit with regard to his judicial review application against attorney-general Mohamed Apandi Ali.
According to his lawyer Mohd Haniff Khatri Abdulla, the affidavit contained the video clip purportedly showing the AG dancing with ministers during the Merdeka Day parade.
Following this, the High Court in Kuala Lumpur this morning fixed Sept 19 for case management between the plaintiff and the Attorney-General’s Chambers on the fresh evidence.
The video clip was exposed by Haniff, who argued it was improper for the AG to be dancing with ministers, especially at a time when the government is embroiled in the 1MDB scandal.
The lawyer, who also represents former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad, asked that Apandi explain his behaviour in the video, failing which, he should resign.
In the video, a man resembling Apandi is seen dancing with five ministers, namely Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar, Salleh Said Keruak, Maximus Ongkili, Azalina Othman Said and Nancy Shukri.
Wan Junaidi later said there was nothing wrong with Apandi dancing with ministers in public.
The natural resources and environment minister also claimed that it happened because they were “spellbound” by the music being played at the moment.
Apandi, on the other hand, has remained silent on the matter.
Apart from Khairuddin, former de facto law minister Zaid Ibrahim and the Malaysian Bar have also filed separate actions against Apandi for his decision to clear Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak.
Previously, Khairuddin filed the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) lawsuit documents in support of his judicial review application.
In January, Apandi had cleared the prime minister of wrongdoing over the US$681 million deposits in his personal bank accounts, which was said to be a donation from a member of the Saudi royal family.
He also cleared Najib of wrongdoing over deposits he received from state-owned SRC International, explaining that the prime minister had thought the deposits were also part of the donation.
Najib has also repeatedly denied abusing public funds for personal gain, blaming such allegations on those conspiring to topple him.
However, the DOJ court filings with regard to the alleged abuse of 1MDB funds claimed that a person identified only as ‘Malaysian Official 1', who BN strategic director Abdul Rahman Dahlan later confirmed to be Najib, received US$731 million in total which originated from 1MDB.
Abdul Rahman also said the DOJ did not name the prime minister because he was not part of their investigation.