Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz advised organisers of the #TangkapMO1 rally to be respectful to grounds owner DBKL whom have rejected the use of Dataran Merdeka as their venue to hold the rally and urged them to hold their protest elsewhere.
Nazri pointed out that he had helped table the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012 as he supported the constitutional right to freedom of assembly, but said there were limits that should be respected, The Star Online reported him saying in Putrajaya.
“But we are all civilised people and must respect the rights of others. If the owner of Dataran Merdeka (City Hall) does not allow for a rally to be held there, then find a place elsewhere.
“You wouldn't like it if I slap you even if I say that I have the right to do so. You wouldn't want me to protest in front of your house and use the same excuse why I'm there,” he was quoted saying.
Last Wednesday, Dang Wangi district police chief Zainol Samah urged the “Tangkap Malaysian Official 1 Coalition” which is organising the rally to look for an alternative venue as DBKL had refused permission for Dataran Merdeka.
A representative of the group insisted that it will proceed with the August 27 at the landmark square, even after Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar gave a reminder that action would be taken against those who refused to comply with the provisions of the Peaceful Assembly Act.
Under Section 10 of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012, rally organisers must get permission of the venue’s owners 10 days prior to the event.
Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Seri Mhd Amin Nordin Abd Aziz has said DBKL will not allow the rally to be held at Dataran Merdeka, as it was the agency’s standard policy to allow rallies at the nearby Padang Merbok instead.
The #TangkapMO1 rally is organised by a coalition of student groups and is publicised to begin at 2pm on August 27.
The rally will see protestors meeting in the city centre at Sogo and Masjid Negara before marching to Dataran Merdeka, aimed at pressuring authorities to take action on “Malaysian Official 1”.
In the US Department of Justice’s civil lawsuit filed last month, “Malaysian Official 1” was identified as a high-ranking government official with authority in 1Malaysia Development Berhad, but the individual was not named.
Source -Malay Mail Online-