Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said today there will not be any investigation on the RM12 million in public donations channelled to the Philippines for the freedom of four Sarawakian sailors abducted by Abu Sayyaf terrorists.
He added that police involvement was unnecessary as the money did not pass through their hands.
“Why must we open an enquiry about it now? I have already explained what happened to the cash. There is no reason for us to conduct any enquiry as we were not involved,” he told reporters at the national police headquarters in Bukit Aman.
"I do not know, but police will not investigate because we know where the money went and I have already explained it.
"So I am not going to go back-and-forth on something which I have already explained," he added.
Khalid had previously said that the money collected by the families of the hostages was passed to a “third party” in the southern Philippines and not to Malaysian police in Sandakan as reported.
A question mark continues to hang over the passage of the RM12 million following conflicting statements by Khalid and Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi who also oversees the police force as home minister.
Philippine paper The Manila Times reported a ransom payment of 100 million pesos was received by Abu Sayyaf for the four Sarawakian captives, short of the 130 million pesos (RM12 million) demanded.
Ahmad Zahid previously confirmed that the RM12 million was given by the family to the Special Branch who then passed the sum to unidentified Filipino welfare groups to secure the release of the Sarawakian hostages.
Brothers Wong Teck Kang, 31, and Teck Chii, 29, their cousin Johnny, and an unrelated friend Wong Hung Sing, 34, were abducted from a commercial barge, MV Massive 6, in the waters off Pulau Ligitan on April 1 while returning to Tawau, Sabah, after sending a cargo of wood to Manila.
Source -Malay Mail Online-