PM also says govt need not answer allegations made by the media, as stipulated by the Parliamentary standing orders.
KUALA LUMPUR: SRC International had no knowledge of the transfer of funds into the finance minister’s account, Prime Minister Najib Razak (BN – Pekan) told parliament.
“It (the allegation) was based on an unverified report by a news portal.
“The government does not have to answer any allegation made by the media, as stipulated in the Parliamentary Standing Orders,” Najib, who is also the finance minister, said.
Najib said this in a written reply to Tony Pua (DAP – Petaling Jaya Utara) who had asked the former to explain why SRC International, a subsidiary of 1MDB, had paid RM170 million to Putra Perdana Construction between July 8 and August 8, 2014.
Pua had also asked why RM27 million out of the RM170 million had been transferred to the finance minister’s bank account.
Najib revealed that RM170 million had been paid to Putra Perdana Construction for turnkey projects which were later cancelled. The sum was then returned to SRC.
Meanwhile, Wong Chen (PKR – Kelana Jaya) asked Najib to reveal who approved the RM42 million funds transfer from SRC International to the latter’s private account.
Wong also asked if the amount was returned to SRC, to which Najib again replied:
“SRC has no knowledge over this issue and this was based on a report by a news portal.”